[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue May 26 23:53:52 CEST 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 07:50:06 -1000
wayne <shakacat at ukulele.com> wrote:

> Craig Bradney wrote:
>
> > You might want to adventure into compiling your own version.
> > docs.scribus.net has pretty good instructions (follow the cmake
> > option for 1.3.3.x if you get into that).
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to compile
> 1.3.3.13. However, a few questions:
>
> 1. On the Requirements page, only the requirements for
> compiling 1.3.5+ are listed. What about 1.3.3+?

I suggest you download the source and inside, you will find a number of
files, three of which are called README, BUILDING, INSTALL

Those three files are recommended reading.

You will find this in the BUILDING file

Requirements:
        Qt >= 3.3 (3.3.8+ recommended) and not Qt4.x Scribus 1.3.3.x
will not compile with Qt 4.x
        Freetype >= 2.1.3 (2.3.x+ strongly recommended)
        libart >= 2.3.10+ (2.3.17+ recommended)
        libtiff >= 3.6.0
        LittleCMS (liblcms) = 1.12 (1.18+ recommended)
        libjpeg (depending on how Qt is packaged)
        libpng

If you are installing from distro packages, the base package is NOT
ENOUGH. You MUST also install the -dev or -devel package, or Scribus
can not use the library.

Recommended:
        CUPS
        Fontconfig >= 2.0
        LibXML2 >= 2.6.0
        GhostScript >= 8.0 (8.60 or greater preferred)
        Python >= 2.3
        tkinter for the font sampler script
        python-imaging for the font sampler preview
        pkgconfig (to assist finding other libraries)

> 2. The instructions read "Scribus source is in a
> directory like /home/username/scribussource/ (where
> username is your username)"- Do I untar first or not? I
> don't know, I haven't done this before.

You will download a file called something like scribus-1.3.3.13.tar.gz

You can move it to anywhere you like, but I suggest you leave it where
it is and run the command

# tar -zxvf scribus-1.3.3.13.tar.gz (or whatever it is called)

That will 'untar' it, generate a directory called Scribus and all the
contents of the file will be placed in that directory.

This is where you will find the README, BUILDING, and INSTALL

> 3. The instructions proceed:
> "Then run:
>
> /usr/bin/cmake ../Scribus
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/username/scribusinstall/"
>
> What does the .. in front of ../Scribus mean? Is
> something supposed to go there?

I recommend that you perhaps get help through a local linux users group
if that is possible, as asking such a question suggests you are
unfamiliar with the basics of Linux.

Anyway, to answer your question, ../Scribus means to go back to a
higher directory and then change directory into the Scribus directory.

> 4. How do I un-compile, if I choose to do so in the future?

This is sort of a non issue. Once you get to this point, you might want
to ask again.

Owen