[scribus] Tried to add Scribus to repository, Ubuntu 9.04

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed May 20 21:47:49 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 14:57:01 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 13:57:05 -0400
>
> OM <malex at scribus.info> dijo:
> > * John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> [2009-05-20
09:20:05 -0700]:
> > > Now if Update Manager would just find the release candidate of
> > > 1.3.5 for my Jaunty x86_64 so I can upgrade my April 19 Beta
> > > version the easy way. :)
> >
> > I've RC1 packages for amd64 and i386 for both intrepid and jaunty
> > in our archive. It looks like the archive generation software is
> > having a fit producing proper control files. I've just tried
> > re-updating them, so please reload your package database and see
> > if the new package version 1.3.5.dfsg~svn20090518rc1-1 shows up.
>
> I just tried Update Manager and it still didn't find it. I have the
> scribus and tagancha repositories enabled, and they have worked for
> all the updates so far.
>
> I don't know why the RC isn't showing up. But don't worry. I'm in
> no rush at all. I finished the project I was working on in 1.3.5
> Beta and have nothing to do for a few days until it comes back from
> the proofreaders. I could install from a deb but since I have
> plenty of time I'll just wait.

Despite appearances Debioan and its children are really Linux. That
means you can
* Equip your system with Gcc, cmake etc. necessary for compilation
* Download the tarball for the release in question directly from
Scribus
* Following the WIKI instructions, unpack, cmake, make and make
install the release of your heart's desire.

You don't have to await some action of the depositary gods. And given
the relatively rapid rate of Scribus development, that is the most
reliable way to get what you want when you want it.

Is it easy. No. But is it possible? Yes.  I work in Slackware and
while sometimes I get a Slack package for a program more often
I just download the tarball and fight my way through the dependencies.
I have  Gimp 2.6.6 for example. Currently I am fussing and fiddling
with Scribus 1.3.5rc1 but I will eventually get it up. The problems
lie mostly in Qt4.  That was IMO an unnecessary move but the
programmers are smarter than I am so there must be some advantage to
it over Qt3.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters