[scribus] Tried to add Scribus to repository, Ubuntu 9.04

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 20 18:20:05 CEST 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:34:53 -0400
"Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters at jamadots.com> dijo:

> Thanks kindly a.l.e. & Kevin, that got me Scribus 1.3.3.13  /update,/ I
> was rather hoping it might get me the mighty 1.5 version, recently
> advertised...
>
> Henry
>
> P.s., The "Update manager" icon (after restarting in recovery mode
> (which didn't help, naturally), etc. & normal rebooting) popped up on
> the menu bar & allowed me to take the faulty fatal flawed line 54 off
> the system by going to the "preferences" menu.

There are lots of other ways to repair/change/update things on a Debian
distro. Your repositories are located in a simple text
file /etc/apt/sources.list. You can edit it manually using the command
line as root with sudo, e.g., "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list." (Make
a backup of the file first!) And after you edit and save the file you
can do "sudo apt-get update," which will do the same as "Reload" from
the Synaptic menu.

I prefer to use Synaptic most of the time, as the GUI is faster than
typing. But using the command line, as in your case above, would have
eliminated the need to reboot.

Now if Update Manager would just find the release candidate of 1.3.5
for my Jaunty x86_64 so I can upgrade my April 19 Beta version the easy
way. :)