[scribus] Right-justify doesn't

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri May 8 02:20:55 CEST 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:43:10 +1000 (EST)
"Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

> > Scribus 1.3.5 Beta April 19 on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64
> >
> > I have a workbook that I am laying out in side by side pages. The page
> > numbers are on the outside upper corner of the page. The page numbers
> > are in a one-line text frame on the left and right master pages. The
> > frame for the left page is normal left justified. For the frame on the
> > right side master page the text is right justified in Story Editor.
> >
> > This ought to work perfectly, and it almost does. The frame on the
> > left
> > master page is fine. The page number on the right master page is not
> > quite all the way to the right edge of the frame. It is as though
> > there
> > is a space between the page number (# marker) and the end of the line.
> > But there is no space. And the frames are not set to have an inside
> > offset.
> >
> > The frames are 400 points wide, so I tried setting a right tabulator
> > at
> > 399 points instead of right justifying the text in the right side
> > frame. This was even worse, as the page number not only did not go any
> > closer to the right edge of the frame, but it also jumped up about
> > three points above the baseline. Weird.
> >
> > I can't find any mention of this in the bug tracker. That doesn't mean
> > it's not a bug - it may mean that it has never been reported or that I
> > am too stupid to find it.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

> Perhaps the space is that reserved for the number?

Good idea. I assume you mean that page 1 would have a space after it if
there are pages in the document greater than 9.

But after thinking for a minute I became aware that this could not be
the source of the problem. The document has 80 pages, and the space
appears after the "79" on page 79, as well as after the page number on
all other right side pages.

I did discover additional facts that lead me to believe it is a bug.

Setting a right tab at the right margin simply does not work because it
makes the number jump up above the baseline. But I can get it to appear
perfectly correctly in Master Pages view, either by right justifying
the frame or by right justifying the text in Story Editor.

However, I notice that in Story Editor there is a blinking cursor below
the page number # character, although Story Editor does not actually
think it is a line because there is no style place on the left side. If
I backspace from in front of the cursor the cursor then jumps up to the
line above. So it looks like Scribus thinks there is a space there. If
I update the frame and exit Story Editor the page number appears at the
right edge of the frame in Master Pages view. But if I reopen Story
Editor the cursor is back on the phantom line below the number #
character.

Furthermore, even though I can get the frame to appear perfectly
correct in Master Pages view, when I look at a right side page in
normal view the space is still there.

I think there was a major rewrite of the page numbering feature for
1.3.5, which is another reason to suspect a bug.

I just filed a bug report on it:

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8018

Hopefully others can reproduce it.