[scribus] Text Wrap

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun May 3 22:34:47 CEST 2009

On Sun, 03 May 2009 15:37:49 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 May 2009 09:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
> > avox <avox at arcor.de> dijo:
> >> If all fails, create a rectangle with no fill and no line color and place it
> >> atop of the graphics. Then set the flowmode such that the text flows around
> >> that rectangle.

> > That's what I ended up doing. It's kind of a kludge because it makes it
> > difficult to get the spacing to the text above and below precisely the
> > same.
> >
> > A better solution would be to create an image frame and then use Get
> > Image. But image frames seem to work only for bitmaps. I mean, I can
> > place the PS file into the image frame, but it becomes rasterized. Too
> > bad, because if I could use an image frame then I could ajust the
> > contour.

> Be careful what you wish for. The import method allows you to edit and
> rearrange the elements of a vector graphic, and you may find that there
> is more flexibility in the layout the way things are now. An image frame
> and rasterized images have serious limitations.

Well, I realize that importing makes the objects ungroupable vector
images, and therefore editable. But that is what Inkscape is for. I
just want to be able to have a group of objects as vector images for
which I can set a text wrap as a whole. I don't care if my wish is
realized by enhancing image frames so they can hold vector images, or
enhancing line contours so they can be applied to a group of objects.

My real problem is getting tables and formulas out of OOo Writer. My
"formulas" are almost always several formulas strung together, and I do
my writing in Writer, so that is where the formulas and tables are
created. But OOo has an ample supply of bugs which makes it difficult
to get the objects into Scribus. Using Inkscape as an intermediary
sometimes works, but Inkscape has its own list of bugs and limitations.
And then there are the bugs and limitations in Scribus. Sometimes I
just wish for india ink and a ruler. :)