[scribus] Math formula problem in Scribus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 03:31:06 CEST 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:11:56 +1100
Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au> dijo:

> Why mess around.
> Wouldn't it be simpler to set out the formula in Ooo take a screen shot (F12) as
> a png, reduce the image in Gimp and use the image in an image box in Scribus,
> could save all the messing around.
> If the formula needs to be altered, change it in Ooo or what ever and use the
> new image in Scribus.

I am currently working on a textbook which is at about 120 pages and
will grow to 140 by the time it is done. There are over 300 formulas in
it. Each formula is in a table, and most of the tables are in frames.
Each formula must be tweaked several times, not to mention alterations
after proofreading. Just as a rough guess, I would have to take the
screenshot at least twice for each one on average. That's an awful lot
of screenshots, not to mention the image quality issues.

I'm actually using OOo as the layout program for this project. I would
love to use Scribus because of its many advantages for book layout. But
all my books require extensive use of tables and formulas.

I did just finish laying out the cover for this book in Scribus. At
least that was a treat.

I was only curious about the Latex formulas because I saw that as at
the solution to at least one thing that I need before I can use Scribus
for book layouts. I still need real tables, however. And I can't wait
to move to Scribus because trying to use a word processor as a layout
tool is a pain. Tables, frames, pictures, all suddenly jump all over
the place on you. <Sigh>