[scribus] Insert glyph

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 22:10:20 CEST 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:43:46 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:13:35 -0400
> > Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

> >> It needs to be a 4-digit unicode, eg, 00e5

> > That was one of the first things I tried - 026a does nothing the same
> > as 26a, 26A, 026A.
> >
> > More importantly, the glyph for 026a does not appear in the GUI
> > drop-down window. Lots of glyphs that this font has do not appear in
> > that window. Scribus is not displaying a lot of Unicode glyphs. I have
> > yet to find a pattern, however.

> Hmm. Works here on Fedora 10, 1.3.3.13svn.
>
> In both Edit Contents mode and with Story Editor, you should be able to
>   a) use F12, then 4-digit Unicode
>   b) Insert > Glyph to bring up dialog
>      - in the dialog you can either choose with the mouse, or enter the
> Unicode number directly
>
> Some particulars:
>
> 1. Make sure your keyboard shortcut is set. Should be F12 by default in
> 1.3.3.x, and Ctrl+Shift+u in 1.3.5svn.
> 2. If you do not see the character in the Glyph dialog, that suggests
> there is something about your font that Scribus doesn't like. Check File
>  > Preferences > Fonts to see if there is anything there of use in
> understanding. If you don't have it displaying, there isn't much point
> in trying to insert this particular character. Try changing the font in
> the Glyph dialog to see if it shows up. Try some other code to make sure
> the process is working. You might also try importing the character from
> a text file and see if that works.
> 3. I realize this is like asking if your computer is plugged in, but
> make sure you use the number 0 and not capital letter O. What is going
> to work is a 4-digit number, padded with zeros at the beginning, so
> trying 26a, 26A, are a waste of time. 026a and 026A should both work, at
> least they do here.
> 4. In the Glyph dialog, there is a place to enter the code in the lower
> left corner, but I see it's a bit tricky to use. Enter the code, press
> Return. The glyph should appear in the window at the bottom. Next you
> must press Tab so that the Insert button is highlighted, then you click
> that to enter the glyph. If it works, the Insert button should grey out
> and the sample glyph disappear. If you click Insert and these things
> don't happen, you have not entered the glyph on the page/SE. (I see that
> in 1.3.5svn, this doesn't have this trickiness)

First, how do I set the keyboard shortcut. I'm not overly concerned
about this, but I should get it working.

Second, the problem is NOT that the glyphs I am trying to use are
lacking in the font. Definitely not. The characters I am trying to use
(other than those accessible by a standard US English keyboard) are
Unicode 026A, 0361 and 0283. These are so common that they exist in all
but the most poorly crafted fonts. Furthermore, they work in the
regular and italic version of the fonts I am using; it's only when I
apply bold that the characters drop out. And I get the same results
regardless of which font I use.

The problem is somewhere in Ubuntu Intrepid, and perseveres in the
latest March 6 beta of Jaunty.

I have been writing in the field of linguistics for the past three
years. Normally I use Junicode, but sometimes I use other fonts. Trust
me, I know how to type a Unicode number (although OOo doesn't require
the padding zero). I have about 50 of them memorized just from constant
use. I also know about the extra zero and, when using a program and the
code fails, the first thing I try is adding the extra zero.

What I need is confirmation from people using Intrepid or Jaunty and
the specific codes 026A, 0361 and 0283. It probably affects a lot of
other glyphs as well, but those are sufficient for confirmation. And I
also need people using non-Ubuntu Linuxes to test these characters, as
further confirmation that the problem is in Ubuntu.

I have filed a bug report on Ubuntu here: