[scribus] PageSets in a sla file

Tom Lechner lechner at aceweb.com
Sat Mar 28 19:19:18 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to write a Scribus importer for my program Laidout, and I'm
trying to figure out how Scribus PageSets operate, and what determines
the actual layout of pages in the scratch space. Is there fuller
documentation for formats other than 1.2?

In the sla (1.3.5, anyway), there's a PageSets section, which defines
various arrangements of pages touching each other horizontally, as a
number of columns, with no reference to page dimensions. How is it
recorded in the file which PageSet to use? I can change the dimensions
of pages in the file, but changes in position seem to be ignored. How
is it recorded in the file which PageSet to use?

Each page seems to be recorded with absolute page boundaries on the
scratch space. I assume the actual dimensions of each contiguous spread
is determined by the actual page dimensions, and this is allowed to
change based on the size of a page and its orientation. Also, I'd guess
that Document::GapVertical and GapHorizontal refer to gaps at the sides
of the scratch space? PageObjects also have absolute coordinates in the
scratch space, and may or may not have "OwnPage" which
is kind of a hint for what page it is supposed to roll with? When
objects bleed, it becomes a gray area.

Any hints?

Thanks,
-Tom