[scribus] [Gimp-developer] GIMP PDF export plugin

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Mar 27 13:37:55 CET 2009

Andrew A. Gill wrote:
> Scribus is vector-based, not raster based.
>
> I do not believe that Scribus has any intent to be allow raster-based
> editing, but I could be wrong.
>
> I have CC'd the Scribus list.  Let us hear their opinions.  Does
> Scribus intend to allow people to tackle the problems listed above?
>
> Or would you be able to trap the following image with Scribus?
>
> <http://www.ets.ru/images/pk000075.jpg>
This is a misstatement. While there are certainly a number of features
of Scribus that involve vector graphics, or similar, such as fonts,
Scribus can and does process bitmap graphics, both for importing and
exporting, and has some limited ability to do some internal manipulation
of bitmap graphics. I can't speak for the devs, but I think Scribus has
mainly tried to stay true to its originally created purpose of doing
layout, yet in the process has added a number of features for color
management, bitmap and vector graphic manipulation, and in particular
there is an ongoing desire to handle more of the advanced graphics
features that inkscape and gimp (and others) can export.

This leads to an overlap of capabilities in these graphics-capable
programs, even where individual projects try to encourage using various
programs for their individual strengths, with the final product coming
from whichever one seems most appropriate for a given user.

Greg