[scribus] Windows can't crash - very strange comment

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Mar 24 19:21:27 CET 2009

<f.eichelhardt at web.de> wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> >> From: Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au>
> >> Subject: [scribus] Windows can't crash - very strange
> >> comment

> >> Either that is the most unfair comment I have heard or
> >> it is a piece of humour, can't decide..
> >
> > at first, let me complete the citation:

> > if that was meant as a (unfair) comment, it would be
> > very stupid as well. an os that can be crashed by a
> > software, is crap, not an os.
> >
> > i have to admit: even my few remained friends find my
> > humour sometimes somewhat strange, but they got used to
> > it.
> >
> > btw: i write almost everthing, even my
> > (business-)letters, in scribus.
> >
> > On Saturday 21 March 2009 04:18:01 am Phil Ward wrote:
> >> helloooooo
> >>
> >> can i come and live in your world? where windows never
> >> crashes?
> >
> > shure - always welcome.
> > the name of that world is linux.
>
> <snip!>

On my Slackware 12.2 and previous versions of Slackware, FF
has not been crashing.  Kmail used to crash on huge
search-and-filter missions (hundreds or thousands of saved
emails) but it doesn't any more.

On covers etc. the occasional Scribus freeze or crash is
best handled by fairly frequent saves of the sla file. In
fact that should be a feature of Scribus -- timed saves to
the original file or preferably to a different named backup
file (a la Vim) with a short interval, perhaps every 5
seconds or so, user selectable.  As I remember it was only
an unstable version that ever crashed.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters