[scribus] OT: Interesting Camera/Mega-Pixel Article

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Mar 13 13:53:00 CET 2009

<jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> <snip!> I also suspect many don't understand the
> >> difference between optical

> >> There is a difference?
> >
> > Optical zoom: zooming rotating the *physical* knob
> > around the lens. Digital zoom: mathematical estimation
> > (interpolation) of the next zoom level of image size.
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, please.
> >
> > -Asif
>
> Sorry, that was my EXTREMELY dry humor[1]. I actually
> know what the diff is. and yes, you are way wrong:
> optical zoom is when the lens diffraction rate is 0.5
> times the distance to the optical interference, resulting
> in noticeable noise, and digital zoom is when the lens is
> circumvented through reverse interpolation of the optical
> megapixels. Someone may be interested in expanding on
> some of the minor details, but that is a good overview.
>

> [1] as in "Not Actually Funny(TM)" or "Funny Not
> Included"
Optical zoom means moving the lens elements around, just as
on a film camera.  I don't think this is a significant
cause of noise, but of course it will vary from camera to
camera. My Fujifilm E900 manual states that digital zoom
lowers picture quality.  I have an add-on lens to avoid
overuse of digital zoom.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters