[scribus] resizing a frame and rescaling contents - 1.3.3.13svn and 1.3.5svn Windows and Linux

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Mar 6 05:08:51 CET 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Here is what I am finding with the mid-February 1.3.3.13svn snapshot,
> on a WinXP machine:
>
> When grabbing the handles at the middle of the frame edges (ie, not
> the corners), Alt alone, Shift+Alt, Ctrl+Alt all behave the same. The
> frame resizes and the contents are rescaled in the direction you move
> the handle.
>
> When grabbing a corner handle, Alt will allow enlargement/shrinking
> without constraint (ie, this can be non-proportional).
> With both Ctrl+Alt and Shift+Alt, enlargement/shrinking of frame and
> contents only occurs in a proportional way.
I'll just append so it's all in one mail.

Here is what I am finding with the March 1st 1.3.5svn snapshot, on a
WinXP machine:

When grabbing the handles at the middle of the frame edges (ie, not the
corners), Alt alone and Shift+Alt both behave the same. The frame
resizes and the contents are rescaled in the direction you move the
handle. With Ctrl+Alt, scaling is done proportionally, so even if you
are moving the cursor only horizontally, the vertical dimension changes
also.

When grabbing a corner handle, Alt and Shift+Alt will allow
enlargement/shrinking without constraint (ie, this can be
non-proportional).
With Ctrl+Alt, enlargement/shrinking of frame and contents only occurs
in a proportional way.

AND NOW FOR LINUX (Fedora 10, fwiw):

1.3.3.13svn - About Scribus says 28 December (oops - I just compiled so
I guess the date hasn't been changed for a while)

Only holding Alt has no effect.

When grabbing the handles at the middle of the frame edges (ie, not the
corners), with both Shift+Alt and Ctrl+Alt the frame resizes and the
contents are rescaled in the direction you move the handle.

When grabbing a corner handle, Shift+Alt and Ctrl+Alt will allow
enlargement/shrinking and this only occurs in a proportional way.

In other words, Shift+Alt and Ctrl+Alt behave the same. I should also
add that 1.3.3.x has the tricky cursor placement problem that has been
fixed in 1.3.5svn, so sometimes you may not be on the spot to make the
work, even though the cursor change suggests you are.

1.3.5svn - About Scribus says 23 February

Only holding Alt has no effect.

When grabbing the handles at the middle of the frame edges (ie, not the
corners), with Shift+Alt the frame resizes and the contents are rescaled
in the direction you move the handle. With Ctrl+Alt, scaling is done
proportionally, so even if you are moving the cursor only horizontally,
the vertical dimension changes also.

When grabbing a corner handle, Shift+Alt will allow
enlargement/shrinking without constraint (ie, this can be
non-proportional).
With Ctrl+Alt, enlargement/shrinking of frame and contents only occurs
in a proportional way.

Greg