[scribus] Glypgs, specifically the Apostrophe

avox avox at arcor.de
Tue Mar 3 23:29:29 CET 2009

Pierre Marchand wrote:

> Vous (Richard Hall) avez écrit :
>> I am editing a document that I have assembled from divers sources.
>> Currently, I am running through it to make sure the quotes and
>> apostrophes are correct and consistent.
>>
>> I generally use Insert | Quote | Apostrophe to stick in or correct
>> Apostrophe issues.
>> But I accidentally clicked on Insert | Character | Apostrophe.
>>
>> The inserted characters do not match.
>>
>> Insert | Quote | Apostrophe, in Times New Roman, is straight and
>> vertical. The same glyph one gets from the single quote key on the
>> keyboard, a prime.
>> Insert | Character | Apostrophe, again in Times New Roman, is a right
>> curly single quote.
>>
>> Tell me what I'm missing here.
>
> It’s all about the difference between U+0027 and U+2019.
> I feel lazy this morning, here is a quote from WP:
> Unicode
>
> There are several types of apostrophe character in Unicode:
>
>     * ( ' ) Vertical typewriter apostrophe (Unicode name apostrophe or
> apostrophe-quote), U+0027, inherited from ASCII.
>     * ( ’ ) Punctuation apostrophe (or right single quotation mark; single
> comma quotation mark), U+2019. Serves as both an apostrophe and closing
> single
> quotation mark. This is the preferred character to use for apostrophe
> according to the Unicode standard.

 And then there's also Prime:

2032    PRIME
        = minutes, feet
        x (apostrophe - 0027)
        x (acute accent - 00B4)
        x (modifier letter prime - 02B9)

'X' means it's different than the named other glyph.

The quotes menu inserts the single ASCII quote glyph for "Apostrophe" and
the curly single quote for "Right Single Quote". It also inserts the ASCII
double quote glyph for "Straight". Usually, you should avoid both Apostrophe
and Straight from the Quotes menu because they are typographically inferior.
Unfortunately I was not allowed to call them by their INTERCAL names
("spark" resp. "rabbit-ears") as defined in Tonsil A
(http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/intercal-man/tonsila.html). I think
those names are much more appropiate.

Since for a typographically correct apostrophe you are supposed to use
Unicode 2019, this glyph is inserted by both 'Character->Apostrophe' and
'Quotes->Single Right'. If we won't call spark and rabbit-ears by their
INTERCAL names, we might want to name those menu entries "Single Straight"
and "Double Straight" instead.

/Andreas