[scribus] Glypgs, specifically the Apostrophe

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Tue Mar 3 10:10:00 CET 2009

Vous (Richard Hall) avez écrit :
> I am editing a document that I have assembled from divers sources.
> Currently, I am running through it to make sure the quotes and
> apostrophes are correct and consistent.
>
> I generally use Insert | Quote | Apostrophe to stick in or correct
> Apostrophe issues.
> But I accidentally clicked on Insert | Character | Apostrophe.
>
> The inserted characters do not match.
>
> Insert | Quote | Apostrophe, in Times New Roman, is straight and
> vertical. The same glyph one gets from the single quote key on the
> keyboard, a prime.
> Insert | Character | Apostrophe, again in Times New Roman, is a right
> curly single quote.
>
> Tell me what I'm missing here.

It’s all about the difference between U+0027 and U+2019.
I feel lazy this morning, here is a quote from WP:
Unicode

There are several types of apostrophe character in Unicode:

    * ( ' ) Vertical typewriter apostrophe (Unicode name apostrophe or
apostrophe-quote), U+0027, inherited from ASCII.
    * ( ’ ) Punctuation apostrophe (or right single quotation mark; single
comma quotation mark), U+2019. Serves as both an apostrophe and closing single
quotation mark. This is the preferred character to use for apostrophe
according to the Unicode standard.

HTH

--
Pierre Marchand