[scribus] OT: Short Run Printer & Distributor UK

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Mar 2 21:47:09 CET 2009

Calum Polwart wrote:
> Hi,  (Sorry for Off Topic & request of what amounts to advertising!)
>
> For some years we've printed a short run newsletter using scribus.  200
> copies every quarter, mailed to mostly UK addresses.
>
> Printing has shifted over the years from B&W Photocopy through to colour
> cover and B&W interior.  Its a 32 page A5 Booklet (8 sheets of double
> sided A4 folded).  I don't do the print but I believe its just straight
> forward colour laser/photocopy from our PDF/X3.
>
> At Christmas I was suddenly unable to do the normal print run and so
> typeset & printing switched to a commercial printer who i believe used a
> litho print.  The paper quality was higher and they cut the edges square
> and generally it was a nicer print.  I believe we could do the same
> using scribus.  But we need a printer who can do it...  The difference
> may be that the Christmas Print run is always about 300 copies not 200
> which makes a difference when it comes to litho.
>
> So looking for recommendations - perhaps there is a scribus friendly
> printer out there?  (Oh and did I say they should be cheap too!)
>
> And while am at it... the printer at Christmas did all the posting... if
> anyone knows of someone who can do this printing & a mailing service...
> I'm all ears and I guess there may be a few other scribus-ites out there
> who would be too?

Ah yes, Calum, this is the whole crux of the manual issue. Our favorite
printer, bar none, is Louis Desjardins, of course, but unfortunately for
you he is in Canada, making the shipping cost a big problem.

We are working on someone to help us with manuals to go to the EU, so
keep tuned. Others, of course, may have other help for you.

Greg