[scribus] How to assure pure black and not rich black.

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 13:28:52 CEST 2009

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
>> I presume this can be done through the correct color profile. Or
>> perhaps it requires a redefinition of the black color swatch. Or maybe
>> it is the default.  The manual defines rich black but does not explain
>> at that point how to get either rich black or pure black.
>> The issue comes up because some process color presses will not accept
>> a combination of colors which together add up to more than 240% total
>> density.
>>
>> Guidance appreciated.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/What_is_Rich_Black%3F
>
> Pure black, AFAICT, is defined by CMYK as 100% K, 0% C, M, and Y. There
> can be a problem in Scribus trying to get pure black as an end result,
> since and RGB with 0 for each value will probably not result in pure
> black. We've had a number of submissions to the list where it seems the
> sender gets obsessed with getting pure black, and consequently gets
> upset at not achieving it.
>
> In the end, I think it should come down to getting the visual color of
> black you want with the printed product rather than some absolute
> mathematically pure black.

Accepted, but presumably it is also a good thing to minimise ink
use as long as this doesn't compromise the quality of the black ?

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor