[scribus] Beginner question, TeX and Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jun 16 14:40:50 CEST 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009 05:33:47 pm Maurí­cio wrote:
> I'm curious about Scribus and would like
> to ask you: what is the difference of what
> I can acchieve with Scribus and what I can
> acchieve with TeX, Latex, ConTeXt etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> Maurício

I use both. Scribus has distinct advantages and some disadvantages.
I use Scribus for book cover creation.  I even wrote an e-book on
the subject (see below.) For covers  Scribus provides layers,
transparencies, custom shapes, precise placement of  guides, visual
placement of graphics objects etc. similar to Gimp. But it operates
in CMYK color model and is much easier to use IMO. Text is text and
not bitmaps of text.  Graphics etc. can be visually placed  but
precise tweaking of numeric placement values is also available.
Exact placement of graphics is much more tedious in TeX.  Scribus
output formats include PDF 1.5 and PDF X/3. The PDF output range of
both TeX and Gimp are more limited.

The downside is that the facilities for footnotes, running heads,
table of contents, indexing etc. are more primitive or missing
altogether. Scribus does not generate pages on the fly, although
you can flow text from page to page.  For long documents it
operates very slowly and generates huge output files.  So I do not
recommend Scribus for long text heavy documents, although it
certainly can be done. Some users have reported file sizes in the
32 mb range. The printed Scribus Manual was created in Scribus  and
is 439 pages long.  But I would have chosen TeX for that job had I
been doing it.

Because of the very large size of Scribus generated pdfs I was
forced to write the e-book referenced below in pdftex to keep the
output under 2 mb even though it is graphics heavy and could have
been more easily created in Scribus.

There are horses for courses. I use pdftex,  Scribus, and now and
then Gimp for some fancy text tricks,  dissolving one image into
another via blends etc.

I do urge you to jump into the Scribus pool and splash around for a
while.  There are some excellent free howtos and even ogg vorbis
video presentations on the use of Scribus.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95