[scribus] Glyphs in a font not appearing

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Sun Jun 14 22:30:56 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:48:06 -0400
> Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:
>
>> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> I understand what is happening now.
>>>
>>> I always knew that Scribus (like InDesign) will not display a glyph
>>> that is not truly in the font. This is as it should be, since otherwise
>>> problems can result when sending files out to be printed. However, I
>>> think it is wrong for the Stoy Editor to grab a glyph from another
>>> font. That is what confused me. I did not realize that the Story Editor
>>> would lie to me. It should not and I should add a feature request that
>>> this behavior be changed so that Story Editor displays only the glyphs
>>> that are truly in the font.
>>>
>> Just to make sure, you do understand that the font displayed in Story
>> Editor is not necessarily (and not usually) the font you have chosen for
>> the frame in Story Editor, don't you?
>
> Yes, I am aware of that.
>
> In my case I use Junicode for just about everything, so I set Story
> Editor to use it for display as well. And that is the source of my
> confusion. Story Editor lies. As a result I wasted everyone's time
> filing an unnecessary bug report. Had I known that Story Editor has a
> different standard for the truth I would have instead filed a feature
> request to make Story Editor tell the truth. :)

Story Editor is only representing what it is given from the font
selection you have made for the rest of your windowing system, so all of
the Qt apps native GUI controls will have those characters. Unless Story
Editor was rewritten to use the canvas then this would not be possible
to change.

Old bug, not much we can do at this point.

Craig