[scribus] Ghost Script?

avox avox at arcor.de
Wed Jun 3 17:59:31 CEST 2009

arthamax wrote:

> Thank you Andreas for your reply but I am too inexperienced to make
> much sense of it. You contradict the recommendations on the Scribus
> website and in the Scribus Manual and you write about things I know
> nothing about.

Well, we build the GS 8.57 version especially for newbies like you so they
can get an easy installation on OSX - and you said you got that working
with Scribus. Users using Fink or MacPorts (which are two very un-Macintoshy
packet managers) might get access to newer versions. The GS 8.60 binary
you tried was not built by the Scribus team and therefore doesn't
plug-and-play
with Scribus.
So my recommendation as part of the Scribus Team is: use GS 8.57. You will
probably not notice the minor diffrence to GS 8.60 and there's no easy way
to get that working for you anyway.

> Apparently there's been no readily installable Ghostscript for
> Scribus (on Mac) since the 2007 version 8.57 and no need for the
> subsequent five releases. I am just learning about Scribus and the
> contradiction is confusing.
>
> I'm sending a copy of my original email and the gist of what I said
> above to the Scribus Team at the website asking them to clear up this
> contradiction.

Yes, we dont update our website very regularely, especially if the existing
information works for most users.

HTH
/Andreas