[scribus] Soft shadows in Scribus

avox avox at arcor.de
Mon Jun 1 22:53:31 CEST 2009

Pierre Marchand wrote:

> On Monday 01 June 2009 18:14:23 John Culleton wrote:
>> On Monday 01 June 2009 07:08:55 Benjamin Dumke wrote:
>> > For those of you who were interested in this: I have posted an
>> > update at
>> >
>> > http://apps.sourceforge.net/wordpress/moonshiner/2009/05/31/soft-sh
>> >adows-in-scribus/
>> >
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > Ben
>>
>> In the companion program Gimp there are several scripts which provide
>> multiple drop shadow, bevel highlight  etc. effects, accessible
>> through : file>create>logo>
>>
>> Given these multiple options  I wonder if a separate facility is
>> required for Scribus.
>
> As I understand it, this code is rather offered to join the core Scribus
> codebase than to be maintained separately. The diff is not that huge and I
> can
> imagine someone will catch up, at least I hope so :) Even if I’m not
> exactly
> fond of these overseen effects (today its reflection, who knows what it
> will
> be tomorrow) I do agree that we can do the effort to line up with other
> DTP
> packages if it gives our users more chances to use and promote use of
> Scribus.
>
> That said, I think we must provide on-canvas visualisation of the effect,
> it’s
> all what Scribus is about.

So why don't we put it in trunk and add new bugs to track the missing stuff:

a) support canvas display of soft shadows (Pierre, can you extend your live
    dragging code to support that? After all it's jsut another bitmap to be
drawn)
b) support the new attributes in Serializer so the effect isn't lost when
copying
   & pasting
c) add dropshadows to SVG output, PS output etc.

/Andreas