[scribus] Text overflow in Text Frames

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed Jul 15 16:33:08 CEST 2009

Hi Greg,

I have never suggested functionality to ignore descenders, nor to ignore
Text Overflow errors, I am suggesting functionality to have Text
Overflow errors conform to the Minimum Bounding Box, which should
include descenders or for that matter anything related to the true text
rendering size, if used in the last line of the text in the Text Frame.

I agree with you it would be pretty stupid to have a frame looking OK,
but actually having chopped of half of the entire text contents because
there was no Text Overflow warning.

Actually, it might be good if the text overflow warnings were displayed
a bit more obvious in Scribus, like with a big red or bleu crosshair
over the entire text frame or something, instead of just a small
crosshair in the lower-right corner. But luckily, PDF export and the
Preflight Verifier do pick up on the Text Overflow errors and show it
clearly, so as long as you have activated preflight checks for PDF
export, you should be OK.

Marco