[scribus] Bleeds

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Tue Jan 27 12:48:56 CET 2009

> Having realized that a manuscript I am prepraring for a printing house
> need bleeds,
> I looked and found the helpful instructions at
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Bleed%2C_create_markers_and_export_a_document_to_pdf
> but I still do not understand at all how to apply these instructions

I think that is a bit of overkill, in most cases you will not need to add
markers. Just tell your printer how much to cut from each side.

Bleed just means the size of the page you make your design on is bigger
than the page it will be cut to efter printing.

I have tried it a bit myself.

I create my documents with a size of 220x317 mm (A4 with 10 mm bleed on 3
sides). As far as I understand there is no need for bleed in the gutter
(inside margin). Then I apply 10 mm margins on top, bottom and inner
margin (I have the design set to facing pages).

The margins show me what will be left of the page after cutting.

Anything that shall bleed extends to the edge of the page (outside the
margin), but things that shall be on the page are between the marginal.

After creating a PDF I have used Acrobat to crop the 10 mm margins (top
and bottom on all pages, right margin on odd pages and left margin on even
pages) to get a view of how it will look after cutting.

Note though that I don't think Scribus will generate the correct content
boxes in the PDF this way, but your printer will most likely be able to
easily fix that if you just tell them the size of the bleed.

/Peter