[scribus] 1.3.3.12 Windows 2k/Sp4 locks up with eps

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 22:22:50 CET 2009

W/Windows 2k/Sp4
1gb memory - a few megabytes that Ausus retains because AGP card is not used
C:\Program Files\Scribus 1.3.3.12\gdiplus.dll
Ghostscripts 8.63
GhostView 4.8
Scribus/External Tools: C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.63/bin/gswin32c.exe

My Windows 2k/Sp4 is very stable and I have used it for many
years with the normal text, email, browser apps, as well as
to develop numerous applications in Delphi and C.

I need Scribus to produce publications with text and eps graphics
My self-generated eps files contain True Type fonts and vector
graphics only. They display perfectly in GhostView.

With that goal, I have experimented with different Scribus
versions over the last two years:

scribus-1.3.3.5-1
scribus-1.3.3.9
scribus-1.3.4

Before ordering the Scribus book a few days ago and downloading
scribus-1.3.3.12, I had good experience with scribus-1.3.4
displaying eps files.

However, attempts with v1.3.4 to export the Scribus files
that contained eps graphics to pdf resulted in Scribus
locking up.

Two years ago, I had good success with scribus-1.3.3.5-1 both
importing my self-generated eps files (printed to Acrobat
Distiller as a file) and then exporting my sla files with eps
embedded to pdf. Again, my eps files display perfectly in GhostView.

When I upgraded to scribus-1.3.3.9 I had the following problem:

using right-click/Get Image brought up the dialog to select
files. However if I clicked on an eps file, Scribus locked up.

Upgrading to 1.3.4 (currently a defunct fork, I believe)
eliminated that problem, but Scribus would lock up if I attempted
to export the saved sla w/eps to pdf.

Now with 1.3.3.12, I am back to the problem I had with 1.3.3.9:

using right-click/Get Image brings up the dialog to select
files. However if I click on an eps file, Scribus locks up.
When the dialog comes up and I click on a pdf, then the preview
appears ok in the dialog, and the same success with png.

Importing the eps file directly to an sla results in a long
trundle (for a small file) and then Scribus locks up.

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Barry McKenna