[scribus] pdf problems

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Feb 27 12:12:48 CET 2009

michael crane wrote:
> I made a flyer in scribus that looked ok on screen. then exported to
> pdf to send to the printer guys.
> hopefully end of story. pdf looked as expected in adobe reader but
> then I opened the pdf that scribus had made back into scribus and the
> graphics were missing and some coloured text was the wrong colour.
> I opened it in inkscape and everything was there but the text was the
> wrong face and the graphic had some garbage lines in places.
> in photoshop the whole background was transparent.
> and so I think I must have done something wrong and I have spent the
> last day trying to find out what is a pdf, what might be the reason
> for these "errors" and trying different ways of importing the
> graphics, adding/removing masks to make transparent, as png, as tiff
> as jpeg. exporting the file with different options "which pdf" etc
> as I said  this is kind of new to me as I haven't talked to a printer
> for over 15 years but I need to know that what I send is going to end
> up as I would like.
>
> How can I know that the pdf that I send will print as I want ?

Out of the list you mention, I would only rely on Adobe Reader to give a
reasonably good depiction of the final PDF result. That having been
said, having a test print from your printer that looks like you want is
the "real" final result, but once you get your settings in Scribus to
produce what you want, then you should have a reliable, predictable method.

Greg