[scribus] pdf problems

michael crane mick.crane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:18:57 CET 2009

2009/2/27 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>:
> michael crane wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>> I don't know if I am asking the wrong questions or in the wrong way or
>> if my posts are actually getting through.
>> I can see them in the archive so they get there but they do not turn
>> up in my gmail account.
>>
>> anyway I am learning quite a bit.
>> I should explain that I have spent a lot of time with graphic stuff
>> but always did the roughs.
>> I understand about printing in that I have done a lot of animation
>> that involved travelling matts for optical printing on film
>> and I guess the principals are the same. I've done offset litho and
>> silk screen printing and of course lots of direct methods of getting
>> ink and paint onto various materials. other than that somebody else
>> did the technical things for printing.
>>
>> I am uncertain about modern printing practices. I should go look how
>> the different things are done these days.
>> Any way I have numerous questions.
>> I made a flyer for a friend using scribus and my problem is that
>>
>> the exported pdf looks good in acrobat reader
>>
>> but just to see how it is, when I open that pdf back in scribus, there
>> are errors.
>> for example all the text is there but some coloured text has the first
>> letter black and
>> there are 2 graphic frames and they are missing.
>>
>> in one test I made the images I wanted into one .png with no
>> transparency in scribus and then exported it to pdf,
>> opening it in scribus the image became a little black pacman image in
>> the top left hand corner.
>>
>> I have a lot of questions about transparency.!!
>>
>> anyway I have made a png file as well as the pdf so hopefully it gets
>> printed ok.
>>

>> I'd like to talk about using scribus as a pasteup tool because as it
>> looks to me it is much closer to "holding paper" than the other
>> programs you see but I have this problem that I cannot be sure that
>> what I see in the pdf in acrobat reader is what is going to appear on
>> the paper because when I open that pdf in scribus it is wrong.
>>

> I don't understand this making of PDFs then importing to Scribus. This makes
> no sense. Perhaps if you can explain what you have in mind when you are
> doing this, we can come up with some suggestions on how to do this in a
> sensible way. The PDF is supposed to be the end product of your work, not
> some in-between working stage than gets reincorporated back into Scribus.

I made a flyer in scribus that looked ok on screen. then exported to
pdf to send to the printer guys.
hopefully end of story. pdf looked as expected in adobe reader but
then I opened the pdf that scribus had made back into scribus and the
graphics were missing and some coloured text was the wrong colour.
I opened it in inkscape and everything was there but the text was the
wrong face and the graphic had some garbage lines in places.
in photoshop the whole background was transparent.
and so I think I must have done something wrong and I have spent the
last day trying to find out what is a pdf, what might be the reason
for these "errors" and trying different ways of importing the
graphics, adding/removing masks to make transparent, as png, as tiff
as jpeg. exporting the file with different options "which pdf" etc
as I said  this is kind of new to me as I haven't talked to a printer
for over 15 years but I need to know that what I send is going to end
up as I would like.

How can I know that the pdf that I send will print as I want ?

regards

mick