[scribus] Gimp/Scribus issues

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Feb 25 16:56:14 CET 2009

Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> Also, if this document is going to print, make sure any images you use
> are big enough resolution-wise. Say, general rule of thumb, like
> 1500px wide minimum for an image that is goint to print at around 4"
> wide.  (I don't like using the term "dpi" because it is so often
> misused and misunderstood)

Nonetheless, DPI is where it's at.... "Big enough" and "resolution" are
not the same thing.

In Properties > Image, you would in most cases want 300 DPI for images,
in some cases as low as 150 DPI may suffice, for web 72-96 is Ok.
For a high-quality photographic book, you may want higher than 300.

See:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Images_-_PPI_and_DPI

Greg