[scribus] A status update from the Managing Director of FLES Books

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Feb 14 22:33:34 CET 2009

Marek Laane wrote:
> Saturday, 14. February 2009 21:30:16 kirjutas Christoph Schäfer:
>
>> Am Samstag, 14. Februar 2009 20:00:53 schrieb Murray Strome:
>>
>>> The news keeps getting more and more depressing!!!  Don't they have an
>>> equivalent of the "Better Business Bureau" in the UK? Is it possible that
>>> such an organization could put some pressure on the printer to get the
>>> books printed and shipped?
>>>
>>> I don't really want a refund, as I will lose money on the exchange, so I
>>> would not get back what I paid.  I am thinking of contacting my
>>> MasterCard provider to see if they can just cancel the payment and give
>>> me my full refund. It would appear that there might be a good case for
>>> bringing criminal fraud charges against the printer if this continues.
>>>
>>> While I do want the book, for which I paid in December, I would like to
>>> suggest that, at the very least, those who ordered it in good faith
>>> during the promotion phase should be given access to the PDF file(s) so
>>> that we could at least make use of the content while we are awaiting the
>>> physical copy.
>>>
>>> The way things are going, this version of the book is likely to be
>>> obsolete before we even receive it!
>>>
>>> Murray
>>> Victoria BC
>>> Canada
>>>
>> Hi Murray,
>>
>> Please don't worry. We had to change the printer, but everything's going to
>> be OK. We have the proofs finished, and printing will start next week. An
>> even better news for you is that the printer is located in Canada, so that
>> you will receive your copy really soon.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Christoph
>>

> Do You have some advice for me, too? Should I request my reseller renew that
> cancelled order or order directly from FLES or something else? I'm still
> interested in book...

in the short term, I believe amazon has them for sale - go to their site
and enter Scribus in the Search tool. Once we get books printing, then
we need to work out the mechanism for increased availability.

Legal complaints are not going to be helpful at this point - it has
already led to Google Checkout shutting down their connection to
Flesbooks. The original printer did nothing wrong in a legal sense, but
with some incomplete and incorrect feedback it led to us not recognizing
the nature of the problem. I'm not angry with them but very disappointed.
The focus right now is to get books printed ASAP to fulfill original
orders, then (try to) set up another ordering mechanism, which helps the
project since we get a greater amount whenever we have a book purchased
directly from Flesbooks.

Greg