[scribus] OT - Fontmatrix

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Dec 27 23:28:57 CET 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:54:41 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> dijo:

>On 12/27/09, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I need fonts that contain all the glyphs necessary for linguistics
>> work. I was trying to use the Compare feature to determine which of
>> the ~120 glyphs that I need were missing from certain fonts.

>Coincidentally Gucharmap utility from GNOME used to display a list of
>fonts that have a particular chosen glyph.

Oh no! Never use that thing. It caused me hours of grief, including
embarrassment when I complained that Scribus was not displaying a glyph
that it said was in the font I was using.

It does an acceptable job when you open the regular font of a
particular face. But when you switch to the italic, bold, or
bold-italic version it fakes the glyphs based on what was in the
regular version. Thus, if a glyph exists in the regular version of the
face, but not in the italic, bold, or bold-italic version, you will
never know that it is missing in the other versions.

Bad, bad design.

I also have gnome-specimen installed, but it is even worse. In all
versions of a font it displays glyphs that I know are not in the font.

The only three I trust are Fontmatrix, FontForge, and Scribus.