[scribus] Large SVG File Crashing Scribus

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Dec 15 14:56:19 CET 2009

> I'm using Scibus to put together an A2 poster consisting of a map of
> the
> world and accompanying info.
>
> The graphics are in SVG form (created by Inkscape) and Scribus is
> being
> used to add the text and produce the print ready PDF.
>
> However, the SVG file is very large (> 2MB) and complicated (it is a
> detailed map).
>
> This causes Scribus to perform extremely slowly and it normally
> crashes
> within a couple of minutes of the SVG being imported. Scribus is
> effectively unusable.
>
> I've tried removing as much from the file as possible including
> simplifying the paths. However any further removal will impact on the
> map accuracy.
>
> I'm trying to avoid using PNG or other bitmap images as this impacts
> on
> print quality.
>
> I have tried encapsulating the map as an PDF or PDS exports from
> Inkscape. This works however Inkscape's exports are not as good as
> Scribus and colour management and the PDF ultimately created by
> Scribus
> seems lower quality.
>
> I want to use Scribus to create the PDF to take full advantage of its
> press-ready features but I've run into a brick wall.
>
> Can anyone offer any useful advice to work around for this situation
> that allows me to create a top quality, press ready PDF?

One thing I would try is to open the svg in Inkscape,
If that works, export it out of inkscape as a 300dpi png of a suitable
size.
Then use the png, instead of the svg, into a picture frame.

You don't say what version of Scribus you are using, maybe there is
some instability with the svg import.

You could report it to bugs.scribus.net where you may lodge a private
copy of your svg if you want to

Owen

--

Owen