[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

James Doepp jdoepp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:14:43 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 14:41, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 November 2009 22:04:58 Richard wrote:
> > I think that thoughts about KDE (new version) are being shared
> among a
> > lot of users, and i'm one of them, i like KDE, and almost cant
> handle to
> > work on gnome, but this new KDE taste made me drop Linux for
> the last
> > months and i really has not being using linux almost since KDE
> 4
> > appeared as the non-optional KDE desktop.
> >

> KDE 3.5 was workmanlike. KDE 4 is very hard to work with IMO.
> I upgraded to Slackware 13 just to get QT4 which is required by
> recent versions of Slackware. But I really could not abide KDE4. It
> is strange, slow, clumsy, and buggy. In this case four strikes and
> you're out. So I changed my gui starter program from kdm to xdm
> and made XFCE the default.

I suggest you get KDE 4.3.3 (and dependencies - check the Slackware
changelog) from Slackware-current. It is considerably faster and more usable
than what is included in 13.

> Now I have the best of both worlds. I have an interface that is as
> easy to use and almost as easy to customize (put icons for
> frequently used  programs on the bottom kicker bar) as KDE 3.5.
> All the KDE 4 programs still work AFAIKT. The only important thing
> I lost was Kpdf. Okular is OK as a pdf viewer but doesn't have a
> print capability. Also I substituted Konsole for Terminal. And with
> some grief I went back to LPRNG and got rid of Cups for printing.
>
> It is however saddening to note that I made all these changes just
> to bring Slackware 13 up to the capability of Slackware 12.2.  I
> wonder if moving Scribus from QT3 to QT4 was worth all this fuss.
>

> Not every change is an improvement. KDE4 is a Vista class
> mistake, IMO.  Just say no.

The difference between KDE4 and Vista is that KDE4 is a work in progress,
and after every update it works faster and better, and you get a clearer
picture of what the developers are hoping to achieve. Vista is a final
product - or at best a step towards Windows 7 (but you have to pay for the
update!)