[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Dec 3 13:41:54 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 22:04:58 Richard wrote:
> I think that thoughts about KDE (new version) are being shared
among a
> lot of users, and i'm one of them, i like KDE, and almost cant
handle to
> work on gnome, but this new KDE taste made me drop Linux for
the last
> months and i really has not being using linux almost since KDE
4
> appeared as the non-optional KDE desktop.

KDE 3.5 was workmanlike. KDE 4 is very hard to work with IMO.
I upgraded to Slackware 13 just to get QT4 which is required by
recent versions of Slackware. But I really could not abide KDE4. It
is strange, slow, clumsy, and buggy. In this case four strikes and
you're out. So I changed my gui starter program from kdm to xdm
and made XFCE the default.

Now I have the best of both worlds. I have an interface that is as
easy to use and almost as easy to customize (put icons for
frequently used  programs on the bottom kicker bar) as KDE 3.5.
All the KDE 4 programs still work AFAIKT. The only important thing
I lost was Kpdf. Okular is OK as a pdf viewer but doesn't have a
print capability. Also I substituted Konsole for Terminal. And with
some grief I went back to LPRNG and got rid of Cups for printing.

It is however saddening to note that I made all these changes just
to bring Slackware 13 up to the capability of Slackware 12.2.  I
wonder if moving Scribus from QT3 to QT4 was worth all this fuss.

Not every change is an improvement. KDE4 is a Vista class
mistake, IMO.  Just say no.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"