[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 04:44:54 CEST 2009

Hi John,

On 8/31/09, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
>> Yes, they have a network install option - you download a small dvd
>> image that you then use to download/install ....
>
> You can probably put the boot image on a memory stick these days.

Sorry, that's a small CD image file that you have to download/install.
I haven't found any zip file that I can unzip to a USB and make it
bootable. But they mention a Knoppix CD. I am currently reading their
faq. Debian looks good.

> ....................................................................If you want to play with lots
> of packages to start with, the DVD would be fresh still, and if you
> wanted to get packages when your OS release was no longer supported, the
> DVD might be the only sensible source of packages ?

Yes, I want to play with the Debian offline on another machine (Core 2
Due 2.66 GHz, 2GB RAM) in a VM as a.l.e advised earlier. Once I have
set it up the way he said, I'll do the whole thing on my low-end
1.7GHz Celeron. Besides, I'll get everything by downloading the 5
dvds.

My only fear is that the dvds may contain some very very old packages
that are not updated. I'd love to download all of them if all the
packages are current and updated. The real pain this will rid me is
having to download all the dependencies myself when compiling
different packages as, I am sure, all the dependencies/packages are in
those 5 dvds. In addition, I hope that the next time I compile
Scribus, I'll have all the dependencies on my system already.

Best regards,

-Asif