[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Mon Aug 31 04:26:50 CEST 2009

Asif wrote:
> I have a system with 1.7GHz Celeron processor and 256MB RAM. Most
> current distros are too heavy. Can you recommend any distro that is
> light and fast and that can be used to run Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape,
> Blender, etc? I have been browsing for a light Linux distro and
> http://www.elivecd.org/ seems fast and light enough to me. But I
> know
> Scribus' requirement of QT. I would be thankful if you could suggest
> such a distribution to me (and possibly others?) on this list.
>
> My main requirements are Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape, C/C++ development,
> Internet browsing, emailing, downloading, etc. I am not very keen on
> watching movies and listening to audio/music/songs. So my
> requirements
> are really simple.

Nobody has mentioned VectorLinux. I am running VectorLinux 6
Standard and VectorLinux 6 Light on three computers. On all of them
I have Scribus, Gimp, and Inkscape. Blender is in the repositories
but I don't have it installed. The system is set up for C/C++
development and Firefox and Opera are included. VectorLinux is based
on Slackware.

Scribus has always run for me with no problems. The same is true for
Gimp and Inkscape. Installing packages is very easy with slapt-get
and Gslapt, which pull down dependencies for properly made packages.
User support is excellent with a very friendly and helpful user
support forum.

The ISO fits on one CD. If you want something that's not in the ISO,
you can download from the repositories.

VectorLinux 6 Light uses IceWM or JWM as window managers. IceWM is
the default. It is very light on resources and very customizable,
though you do it through text files. I installed VL 6 Light on my
11-year-old grandson's laptop, a 1.8 GHz Celeron with 256 megs of
RAM. It performs well for browsing with Firefox, but I didn't
install Gimp, Scribus, or Inkscape. For sure, I'd strongly recommend
you add RAM no matter what distro you go with because otherwise
you'll be hitting the swap file all the time and that slows things
down markedly.

VectorLinux 6 Standard uses XFce or LXDE as desktop environments. I
have Gimp, Inkscape, and Scribus running in VL6 Standard under XFce
on a 1.3 GHz Celeron with 1 gig of RAM. They run well. I have
Scribus, Gimp, and Inkscape under VL6 Light on a laptop with a 2 GHz
Mobile Celeron and 512 megs of RAM. I have no complaints about
performance. It would be better with more RAM but the programs are
usable with 512.

You can download the ISOs here:
 http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/

Note that the LiveCD for VL6 Light isn't really intended to be
installed on your hard drive, though it's possible and an installer
is included. It is more to give you an idea of the look and feel or
for portability when you'll be using a computer not your own  and
can be used for repair purposes, as is often the case with LiveCDs.
--Judy M.
   USA

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 6.0 Standard, Deluxe Edition