[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Aug 30 18:56:53 CEST 2009

dear jeffrey,

> Your request/question is internally at odds with itself.
>
> Lightweight distro for old machine, low memory?
>
> But, you also want to run Scribus, Gimp, *Blender*???
>
> Any distro will suffice, imo, with that machine, as long as you are
> prepared for a littlle bit of waiting. It is one thing to ask for a
> lightweight distro that you're doing some simple word processing and
> email on, but, well, I hope you see my point.

one difference may be which desktop (window) manager is used, which services are started by default, how easy it is to shut them off and, eventually, use alternative low-res services.

in  my experience, as an example, it was much easier to achieve the goal of a lean OS with debian than with ubuntu.

personally, i run scribus, gimp and inkscape (had to compile it myself to avoid the gnome dependency) in parallel on a eee pc without any performance problem (as long as i don't run processor intensive task in them (like the path filter in scribus)).

btw, all those programs are snappier than oo.org...

greetings from a happy user of a couple of minimalistic debian testing machines
a.l.e