[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 02:43:38 CEST 2009

Asif Lodhi wrote:

> Hi a.l.e
>
>> if you hare tech savy enough, i can suggest you to go for a debian
>> server install with no desktop manager and just install your window
>> manager of choice.
>
> I just visited Debian website. There are FIVE dvds! - each 4.4 GB
> except the last one which is 1.2GB. ALL the other distros I've seen so
> far fit only on one DVD. This suggests that these dvds contain ALL the
> software EVER produced for the Debian distro??? While that's what I've
> always wanted - to download _everything_ from the Internet and then
> work offline afterward - I wonder how long (how many days!) it takes
> to download all this stuff!

Do they have an option for network install ?

Fo those distros that do, you just download something which bootstraps a
kernel and network drivers, then fetch the other bits you need as and
when you need them over the net. This also has the advantage that the
stuff you get tends to be 'fresh' rather than off some stale disk which
may be a year or three out of date.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor