[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:03:11 CEST 2009

Thank you all.

Jeffrey, I have seen people using Gimp, Inkscape and Blender on the
same configuration (1.7GHz, Celeron + 256MB RAM) but on Windows -
though Blender renders are, of course, slow - Blender itself is not.
It's only the distros and the Windows Mangers that are continuously
adding more bloat with each release.

A.l.e., thanks for letting me know about the goodness of Debian. I'll
try Debian this way if that doesn't take too much time. Thanks. Your
eeepc example is an extremely good one - good enough to make me
consider using Debian this way.

Alberto, Ubuntu is too heavy. I tried it a couple years back. The
equivalent Fedora version's performance was agreeable but Ubuntu was
tooooooo heavy and slow on this lowly machine. Thanks for telling me
about LXDE.

In case, list users are interested, I found the following light and
tight distros:

Damn Small Linux, Tiny Core Linux, SLAX, Vector Linux, Slackware, DeLi
Linux, SliTaz Linux, and Puppy Linux.

--
Best regards,

Asif