[scribus] Linux Distro 4 Scribus + 1.7GHz Celeron 256MB RAM

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 02:32:04 CEST 2009

On 08/29/2009 07:57 PM, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Hi list users,
>
> I have a system with 1.7GHz Celeron processor and 256MB RAM. Most
> current distros are too heavy. Can you recommend any distro that is
> light and fast and that can be used to run Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape,
> Blender, etc? I have been browsing for a light Linux distro and
> http://www.elivecd.org/ seems fast and light enough to me. But I know
> Scribus' requirement of QT. I would be thankful if you could suggest
> such a distribution to me (and possibly others?) on this list.
>
> My main requirements are Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape, C/C++ development,
> Internet browsing, emailing, downloading, etc. I am not very keen on
> watching movies and listening to audio/music/songs. So my requirements
> are really simple.

I was using a PIII with something like a 333MHz processor, and found
that the processor could handle Linux and Scribus Ok, but with 256MB RAM
there was a serious problem at times. Upgrading to 512+RAM should take a
lot of your problems away -- the main thing was stability.

Surely with this system you can put in at least 512MB of RAM, and it
shouldn't be very expensive either.

Greg