[scribus] Microsoft barred from selling Word, XML patent problem.

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:18:01 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM, John Culleton<john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> a Canadian company, i4i, has a patent on some uses of XML and has
> successfully sued Microsoft in a Texas court. I don't know the
> technical details, but could this court case possibly affect Scribus?

Quote from the above: "i4i said it has looked at OpenOffice and found
it doesn’t infringe on its patents." - so one large obvious FLOSS
target is safe.

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm a mediocre coder at best, but given how
broad the scope of XML is, if OOo doesn't have anything to worry about
with this latest round of software patent stupidity, nobody else
should worry about it either.

Brian