[scribus] Microsoft barred from selling Word, XML patent problem.

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:06:29 CEST 2009

Hi John,

On 8/27/09, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> a Canadian company, i4i, has a patent on some uses of XML and has
> successfully sued Microsoft in a Texas court. I don't know the
> technical details, but could this court case possibly affect Scribus?

In my opinion, it is the software patents that should be barred. It's
like getting rights on someone's brains/ideas. Someone researches an
idea for 10 years, develops a product only to find out that someone
else has already filed a patent on his/her idea/research. I highly
suspect that patents will do to software research the same kind of
havoc that has been done to the financial industry globally if people
don't raise their voices now.

Best regards,

-Asif