[scribus] Digital Magazine Production

StevenD daytonmeister at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:08:44 CEST 2009

n3fel at aol.com wrote:
>  Scribus List,
>
> I am new to the list, so I may be asking about old matter.? Nonetheless, I would like to use Scribus to publish my organization's newsletter.? The journal, a mere (24) pages of 5.5" x 8.5" bookfold , had been produced about ten years ago in Publisher.? Distribution then was by paper/snail-mail and attachments/pdf.? Today, online viewing will be the only viable approach.? The format I like the best is that of many of the digital versions of magazines where two pages are flashed to the screen at a time and scrolled one page after another from left to right or visa-versa.?? Is this possible with Scibus?? If Scribus is use only to create the PDF document file, what package would I consider to finish the PDF file for online viewing??
>
> Thank you very much for your time, and I hope to be seeing your replies soon. ? ??
>

> Howard
To get the very best PDF for on line viewing you will want to use
Acrobat Professional. That is if you are willing to pay a bunch. I have
been able to clean up some PDF that I generated from Scribus and got
them down quite small in file size using Acrobat. I don't know but maybe
there are some lower cost 3rd party PDF apps that will do a good job on
post production work. I don't know of any personally.

I haven't really played around with getting a multiple page PDF out of
Scribus. I have played around with getting some single page PDF and it
does a fairly decent job. It seems like Scribus PDF export is set up
mostly for Print. With online PDFs you want them to have fonts that are
embedded and subsetted so they can be searchable. That means you have to
work with fonts that Scribus will let you embed and subset.

StevenD