[scribus] Digital Magazine Production

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 03:47:03 CEST 2009

On 08/24/2009 06:51 PM, n3fel at aol.com wrote:

>   Scribus List,
>
> I am new to the list, so I may be asking about old matter.? Nonetheless, I would like to use Scribus to publish my organization's newsletter.? The journal, a mere (24) pages of 5.5" x 8.5" bookfold , had been produced about ten years ago in Publisher.? Distribution then was by paper/snail-mail and attachments/pdf.? Today, online viewing will be the only viable approach.? The format I like the best is that of many of the digital versions of magazines where two pages are flashed to the screen at a time and scrolled one page after another from left to right or visa-versa.?? Is this possible with Scibus?? If Scribus is use only to create the PDF document file, what package would I consider to finish the PDF file for online viewing??
>
> Thank you very much for your time, and I hope to be seeing your replies soon. ? ??

Perhaps the biggest thing about this is the size of the PDF. Look at
this wiki article to learn something about keeping the file size down
after creating the PDF with Scribus:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF

On the front end, using images with (relatively) low DPI (PPI) can help,
and cropping images down to what you actually use in a frame -- any
image file will be saved in its entirety in the PDF. There are also some
settings with PDF Export that allow for compression and image resolution
reduction.

There are also settings for the display of the PDF in the viewer (ie,
double-page), but I have to say I don't know if they are universally
effective in a browser environment.

Greg