[scribus] Moving to Linux

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Aug 24 05:52:54 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 24. August 2009 05:11:47 schrieb StevenD:
> Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> > There's no reason to discuss this privately, as it's everything but OT. I
> > also don't think that we need to discuss the issue over and over again.
> > We have described the shortcomings of and the issues with anything
> > *buntu-related many times here.
> >
> > In short, Ubuntu is superb for Grandma/Grandpa and other potentially less
> > computer-savvy people who just want to browse the web, write an email or
> > print out a letter. Given that most users in corporate environments don't
> > care about the fonts they use or other advanced features, it may even be
> > a great replacement for the MS software stack, because it's extremely
> > easy to use (much easier than Windows and as easy or even easier than OS
> > X!).
> >
> > However, there are users who demand a lot more from their computer, their
> > OS and their desktop. This is where *buntu/Canonical fail to deliver.
> >
> > It's one of the reasons for us to recommend Debian, Fedora or OpenSUSE,
> > because these aren't artificially limited (or rather dumbed-down). Plus,
> > each of them provides reliable Qt and KDE versions, and their qualities
> > go far beyond font installation!
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping you would explain. It now has
> me thinking about making a switch. Although not until I get a better
> machine. I'm trying to see much of a low cost system I can put together
> and the machine I am running Ubuntu on just isn't up to speed
> (literally). I went with Ubuntu because I'm new to Linux and wanted
> something fairly easy to set up. I had heard that Kbuntu is more Windows
> like and since I was starting out with something new I thought I would
> really experience the difference. I don't mind using Windows. Just
> wanted to try something new.
>
> StevenD

Switching from Ubuntu to Kubuntu will get you out of the frying pan and into
purgatory, since KDE and Qt are still second-class citizens on the *buntu
platform. While Ubuntu's Gnome desktop is well integrated, I don't think this
can be said of Kubuntu. Most bugs reported on *buntu systems are the result
of badly tweaked/patched Qt versions.

Hence the recommendations of the team: Debian, Fedora or OpenSUSE. Other
options are Mandriva or PC Linux OS (both very user-friendly).

Please don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is great for the purposes it has been
created for, but if you want more (control, features ...), it shouldn't be
your first choice, at least in my opinion.

HTH

Christoph