[scribus] Is Scribus of No Practical Use to Engineers, Scientists and Mathematicians?

Professor Rodney Coates rcoates at seiche.com
Sun Aug 23 12:02:08 CEST 2009

I have a problem with Scribus. I suspect it is one which is well-known
to many potential users (scientists, engineers, maths teachers ..) but
I can find no clear, explicit and definitive reference to it on the web.

I have Scribus 1.3.5.1 running on a 17" Powerbook under OS-X 10.5.7

The Symbol font will not display; Zapf Dingbats will not display;
Render Frame will not work (). Latex/Tex is not working/available ....

I am a technical author. I need to set Greek symbols within lines of
ordinary text. I need to set mathematical formulae.

Please would someone let me know if I am just wasting my time with
Scribus. It is better for me to know that NOW, rather than waste time
struggling.

I suspect that I shall have to "bin" Scribus, immediately, which is
very sad, because it would, otherwise, have been an wonderful
application. I anticipate extreme disappointment!

If I am wrong and there is a workaround, or I am missing the obvious,
please could anyone who can advise me, do so in clear “non-
computerish” terms. Hopefully, I will then have at least some chance
of understanding and, more importantly, implementing whatever is
suggested.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Prof. Rodney Coates
Professor Rodney Coates, Ph.D., FIEEE