[scribus] Moving to Linux

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Aug 23 07:41:08 CEST 2009

Am Samstag, 22. August 2009 07:30:36 schrieb dwain:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Christoph Schäfer <
>
> christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > ....... is enough of a maschist to use
> > *buntu? ;P
>
> please explain.
> cheers,
> dwain
>
> please reply to:  dwain dot alford at gmail dot com as this appears to be
> getting ot.
> thanks.

There's no reason to discuss this privately, as it's everything but OT. I also
don't think that we need to discuss the issue over and over again. We have
described the shortcomings of and the issues with anything *buntu-related
many times here.

In short, Ubuntu is superb for Grandma/Grandpa and other potentially less
computer-savvy people who just want to browse the web, write an email or
print out a letter. Given that most users in corporate environments don't
care about the fonts they use or other advanced features, it may even be a
great replacement for the MS software stack, because it's extremely easy to
use (much easier than Windows and as easy or even easier than OS X!).

However, there are users who demand a lot more from their computer, their OS
and their desktop. This is where *buntu/Canonical fail to deliver.

It's one of the reasons for us to recommend Debian, Fedora or OpenSUSE,
because these aren't artificially limited (or rather dumbed-down). Plus, each
of them provides reliable Qt and KDE versions, and their qualities go far
beyond font installation!

Cheers,

Christoph