[scribus] FontMatrix here we go again

StevenD daytonmeister at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 20:57:09 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> People frequently bring up things here that are ancillary to Scribus.
> Besides, Fontmatrix has virtually no documentation.

It looks like there is a bit more documentation in the 0.6.99 version in
the help (that is what I meant when I said 6.0 version. oops).

> I installed it on my Jaunty x8_64 computer just by using System >
> Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. However, I note that it is
> version 0.4.2-2. And there seems to be a bug - I cannot deactivate a
> font. Clicking on the check box does nothing.

That is what I did and got the same 0.4.2.2 version. I also tried to get
it through the Add/Remove menu item and got the same result. That was
where I first got it from. I also had the same results in not being able
to deactivate fonts because clicking on the check box does nothing. :-(
> I am not very skilled at installing from source.

I'm not either. At least not yet I hope. However I did finally get it. I
just went for broke and somehow got the darn thing installed following
the instructions the best I could.

I just followed the direction in the text file that came with the
package that I downloaded to my system and a copy can be found here.

http://svn.gna.org/svn/undertype/branches/fontmatrix006/debian-ubuntu-install.txt

I went through the whole thing but couldn't see anything that indicated
that it was installed. Or at least I assumed it did. I don't know what
was going on during the process so I just waited till the prompt appear
before keying or pasting in the next line. So then I tried typing in
fontmatrix in the Terminal and low and behold it started up. It looked
like it was going to be running from the terminal so I quit the Terminal
and that shut down FontMatrix. I clicked on the Applications menu and
couldn't see it listed anywhere. I right clicked on the Applications
menu and chose Edit Menus and saw that FontMatrix was listed in the
Graphics sub menu even though it wasn't actually appearing. I ended up
doing a Restart and now it shows. I just need to figure out how it all
works now. I did get some fonts tagged. I must say it isn't very
"intuitive" (lots of people like to through that term around for
everything these days it seems). But at least I got some fonts deactivated.

Incidentally I found another font program called Fonty Python but that
one wasn't much use when I tried it out.

Anyway SUCCESS for a change.

StevenD