[scribus] FontMatrix here we go again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 19:18:12 CEST 2009

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:45:18 -0600
StevenD <daytonmeister at gmail.com> dijo:

> I know this is a Scribus list but I figure FontMatrix should control
> fonts that show up in the Scribus so I am asking here.

People frequently bring up things here that are ancillary to Scribus.
Besides, Fontmatrix has virtually no documentation.

> Ok I am going to try to install FontMatrix 6.0. Again.

I installed it on my Jaunty x8_64 computer just by using System >
Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. However, I note that it is
version 0.4.2-2. And there seems to be a bug - I cannot deactivate a
font. Clicking on the check box does nothing.

I am not very skilled at installing from source. But I found a .deb file
here:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/fontmatrix/download

That is the 64-bit version. For other architectures go to
http://packages.debian.org/sid/fontmatrix.

Unfortunately, when I tried to install it with gDebi I got an unmet
dependency error. It wants libicu40 (>=4.0-1). Looking in Synaptic I
see that I have libicu38 (3.8-1-3ubuntu1). So before I can install it I
need to find libicu40 someplace and install it. Installing a different
package than the one currently installed is always a bit scary. I
haven't gone out to find and install libicu40 because I'm too busy
today. Maybe someone else can follow up.