[scribus] Speed change when adding PS vector images

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 05:10:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:50:58 +0200
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

> > Something about those 36 PS graphics is causing a massive
> > problem. And I mean it is slow everywhere in the document, not just on
> > the pages containing the new graphics.
> >
> > The graphic in question is as displayed here:
> >
> > http://www.langsci.ucl.ac.uk/ipa/pulmonic.html
> >
> > I downloaded it as a PDF, then printed to file with Adobe Reader in
> > order to get a vector PS file. After importing it into Scribus I
> > ungrouped it and removed the gray rectangles because I wanted it
> > clear. Then I regrouped it and copied and pasted 35 times. The
> > characters are all coverted to paths.

> having looked at the graphics, i would suggest you, to delete all the
> copies you have made, import again the ps file, recreate the table with
> scribus' own lines and rectangles, move the vectorized letters into the
> newly created table, group the whole thing. make multiple copies of it.
>
> imported ps files may include complicated and not really used artifacts
> which will make the whole group much too complicated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ungrouped one of the graphics, then
selected each object individually one at a time and deleted it. I know
what you mean about extra artifacts - I've seen that many times with
imported PS files. But this time there were none at all that were not
necessary.

I also discovered something else. Before adding the 12 pages and 36
groups of graphics the file size was 37 MB and now it is 97 MB. More
importantly, Scribus used to take a mere 700 MB of RAM while working on
the document, and now it is sucking down 2 GB. The computer has 4 GB of
RAM, so it is not using the swap, but that is still a lot of RAM. I am
guessing that when I load the file Scribus is imaging into RAM every
object in the entire document, not just the objects it needs in order
to display the pages that I ask it to display.

I went into Preferences and set it to use only two undo levels, but
that didn't seem to help much.

I can work in the document, it's just taking a very long time.