[scribus] Story Editor Toolbars Bug?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Aug 18 05:45:37 CEST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 09:36:16 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Until a discussion here earlier today (re: getting the coyness of
> the kerning box) I was unaware that the toolbars in the Story
> Editor could be detached. I knew about the main Scribus window,
> but it never dawned on me that I could also detach the toolbars
> in the Story Editor. So I did so, and I am thrilled to discover
> that there is no longer a problem with the kerning box.
>
> However, the detached toolbars stay on the desktop even when I
> minimize Scribus. Right now I am writing this e-mail and I have
> to drag the window away from the toolbars lest they obscure the
> e-mail compose window.
>
> I also have this problem with Inkscape, but not with any floating
> toolbars in any other application.
>
> I have Scribus 1.3.5 Rc3 on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64. My video chip
> is nVidia Quadro 140M and I am using the open source driver. The
> desktop is standard Ubuntu Gnome 2.26.1, at 1680 x 1050.
>
> I don't know if the problem is in Scribus, Gnome or the video
> driver. Or maybe all three are not playing nice with each other.
>
> Before I file a bug report, has anyone else experienced this?

The "bug" if you want to call it that, was not displaying the  full
content of the toolbars in the first place. I was able to display
all the tools on two rows with room left over. That should be the
default setup. There is no logical reason for not using two rows. .
Just because we can put things on drop down mini menus doesn't mean
that is what we should do.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95