[scribus] Automatically page layout, is this possible?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 15:30:22 CEST 2009

On 08/17/2009 08:10 AM, Peter Magsam wrote:
> Hello Community,
>

> We developed an open source web based application - osRetail - with netbeans
> (java) for retailers. All functions a retailer needs osRetail contains. More
> Information in German see in the homepage www.ka-und-we.de
> <http://www.ka-und-we.de/>  . All retailers of course need a desktop
> publishing application.
>

> We want - if it is possible - integrate our application osRetail with
> scribus and gimp. Gimp is no problem. In osRetail we administrate all
> information which scribus needs. We have an own photo database. In osRetail
> the users "design" the pages of a catalogue. These data's needs scribus for
> the layout.
>

> We can build xml files with all in formations for scribus - text, logo,
> prices, photos, template, size, page, .,
>

> Is there a possibility to import the xml files and build automatically a
> double page? After this the designer makes the precision work. So we have
> solution without a media break.
>

> I am no expert for scribes at all. But I know what Designer for catalogues
> need to build it efficient.
>

> The existing tools for databased publishing are really expensive. You know
> it. With our solution - if integration to scribus is possible - everybody
> can use this service. Scribus gets more known. With the integration the
> tools gets really strong.
>

> Maybe an expert for scribus can support the open source web/data based
> desktop publishing.

At the moment, this would be dependent on the use of python scripts
and/or templates. It would be nice/feasible to set up some kind of
database/xml connection for this kind of work, but I don't know that
anyone has done it yet.

There certainly are plenty of examples on the wiki of various scripts
that might be seen as building blocks for someone to understand the
syntax. We're also hoping to flesh out the next generation of Scripter
some time in the future, so that more scripting possibilities can come
into play.

Greg