[scribus] PDF X/1a:2001 again.

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Mon Aug 17 10:37:24 CEST 2009

Vous (Owen) avez écrit :
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:21:21 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > My old nemesis LSI is still insisting on the above PDF format;
> > otherwise they will run the cover file through a process that
> > rasterizes the file.  When it comes to access to Amazon it is their
> > bat and their ball and you have to play the game their way.
>
> *WARNING* I know zilch about PDF specs
>

> have you tried editing the first line in the pdf file to read
> %PDF-X/1a:2001 (or whatever a PDF-X/1a:2001 file has as its first line)
>
> I just edited a PDF file that had %PDF-1.4 as its first line. Acrobat
> Reader flashed up a message (I haven't done speed reading) but it said
> something about "Rebuilding"
>
> Ocular just opened it
>
> Maybe that's all they check?

You can’t insert random data in a PDF file because by doing it, you invalidate
the xref table (kind of index). While the file can still be processed at a
cost of rebuilding the xref table by analysing the content of the file etc.
the file becomes basically corrupted.

About PDF-X/1a, the code that Thach did write for the GSOC program should find
his way in main development branch, Trunk, in coming months.

--
Pierre Marchand